Friday, July 22, 2011
Irem is officially deleting itself on 11 August. Read on for details!
If you haven't bought them yet, get those Irem games by 11 August. These are going to be pulled from PSN:
* R-Type Tactics (PSP)
* Mousukesu based on Carton-kun (PSP)
* Bumpy Trott Beagle Battle Tournament (PSP)
* Ikuze! Gensan Yuyake Daikou Monogatari (PSP)
* R-Type Tactics II Operation Bitter Chocolate (PSP)
* Sengoku Esatsu Yugi Hototogisu Ran (PSP)
* Sengoku Esatsu Yugi Hototogisu Dairan (PSP)
* Narisokonai Eiyuutan: Story of the Sun and Moon (PSP)
* R-Types (Game Archives)
* R-Type Delta (Game Archives)
* Gussun Paradise (Game Archives)
* Irem Arcade Classics (Game Archives)
Also, all Irem demos, wallpapers, games, and anything else connected to Irem is also being deleted, including PSN HOME related stuff.
Personally I am going to now buy all the R-Type game - if you have an interest in Irem's games it's best to act NOW. Might as well archive all their remaining websites while we're at it - they seem to be starting a bushfire in an attempt to remove all records of themselves. Quick internet people, prevent them from doing it!
EDIT - Correction from Adriasang:
Correction 7/24: This story originally miswrote that Irem is closing all its lounges. It looks like some lounges may not be closing. As noted by Mao in the comments below, lounges for Pachipara and Dokidoki Suikoden are not listed in Irem's list of closures.
PURE SPECULATION ON MY PART:
I seem to recall Kazuma Kujo mentioned something about wanting to bring the Zettai Zetsumei Toshi games back (can't recall the source, may have been his twitter), plus he's been extremely busy lately. Could it be that his new company, Granzella, is buying up the rights to Irem's back catalogue of games? I have no concrete evidence for this, but it's a nice thought. Others speculate Irem is going bankrupt, and yet some one source mentioned a new Pachipara game they announced for 3DS. Still, even if they do die, the rights to their games will be ripe pickings for someone, so with any luck they won't be dead forever.